SUGGESTED PLAN TO STOP GUN VIOLENCE IN AMERICA –
TO BE DEBATED AND DISCUSSED BY EXPERTS IN ALL FIELDS
INCLUDING LAW, MILITARY, NRA, HEALTHCARE, MENTAL HEALTH, POLICE, PRISONS AND JAILS, RELIGIOUS LEADERS, AND PUBLIC INTEREST GROUPS ON ALL SIDES OF THE DEBATE IN A TRANSPARENT MANNER!
- America has 5% of the world population but its citizens own 50% of the privately owned guns the world. Tax ammunition outrageously like we tax cigarettes. Considering outlawing owning more than a few weapons needed by one person to be a member of a militia unless they have extensive mental health examination and background check.
- Half of gun deaths are suicides. Triple mental healthcare spending and vastly improve access to mental healthcare.
- Vastly increase opportunities for teens and young adults for jobs and after school activities. Idle minds are the devil’s playground. Re-instate the Civilian Conservation Corps started in the Roosevelt era.
- Outlaw high capacity ammunition magazines and give deadline to turn them in – do not grandfather them. An untrained person having to change clips would slow down mass murders.
- Find better high tech way to ID guns so that if their numbers are filed off they can still be traced.
- Research and discuss ways of tracking and controlling the sale of ammunition and the sale of more dangerous types of ammunition, with consideration of putting limits on certain types of ammunition or finding ways of tracing the sale and usage of certain types of ammunition that are more deadly or meant for military mass murder situations, rather than hunting.
- Tax guns at enormous rate with goal of decreasing ratio of guns to number of Americans to half as many within 5 years. Increase availability of voluntary turn in of weapons without consequences. Destroy weapons turned in and do not resell them.
- Outlaw semi-automatic rifles and handguns. Have a panel of experts including military and NRA representatives determine this issue. No grandfather clause. Maybe allow some stored in gun clubs to mentally certified people, who have undergone careful background check as to mental health as well as had an interview by a trained psychologist. Do not allow storage of these weapons in a home where everyone is not certified.
- Massive education effort to teach not to stigmatize mentally ill and to recognize need for mental healthcare. Teach that most mentally ill people are harmless, most gun deaths are NOT caused by the mentally ill, but that serious mass murders may be caused by a few very disturbed people who need help BEFORE they murder someone.
- Research and find ways to identify loners and help them integrate into society, as well as find ways to identify when they are falling into psychotic mental illness and becoming dangerous to society like with the shooters in Oregon & at the Colorado theater.
- Massively increase training requirements for law enforcement officers and prison guards to include training about mental illness and psychology (at least one year of classes and rotation through mental health facilities as part of code gray teams and counseling teams). Three months of post high school training is not adequate to be employed as a jail or prison guard. This will take a 5-10 year transition as our police forces are so incredibly undertrained. Parole officers should be required even more training. Study how many peace officers were involved in murder with their own guns or whose guns were used for suicide or accidental shootings.
- Vastly improve our education system in the U.S. to include domestic violence and pre-marital counseling, financial responsibility, and child development, as well as mental health issues. Require students to volunteer to help the elderly, the disabled, or the mentally challenged so they understand that the disabled and mentally challenged are not automatically dangerous.
- Close loopholes so that NO gun may be exchanged or sold without check with a national database.
- Have intense discussion/analysis as to what diagnoses or mental certification should cause inclusion in database as the vast majority of the mentally ill are not dangerous. Forcing all that have been treated or hospitalized for mental illness into a database would be grossly unfair.
- Judicial reform to take corruption out of our court system and vastly reform family courts thus lowering the extreme suicide rate among veterans and the population due to false defamation of character and wrongful termination of child custody rights.
- Do not put all felons in database as most are not dangerous concerning guns – analyze this more carefully.
- Make national effort to put in place system to help wrongfully convicted felons overturn their convictions so that the database is not overtaxed by excessive numbers of people who are mentally stable but wrongfully accused of being mentally ill or have been defamed and wrongfully convicted felons, or non-violent felons.
- Make higher penalties for storing weapons without trigger locks and other appropriate safety measures.